Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fancy Shmansy

So, I have my tickets all set up to go from Seattle to the wonderful world of Atlanta. I e-mailed my grandparents to see if they may by chance want to drive up to Atlanta from Florida to see me before I head off on my way, but unfortuneatly my Nana has a doctor appointment that day that is not reschedulable - she is having knee problems and got into a doctor who treats all the famous sports people, so i understand! However, in the process of talking about my arrangements in Atlanta with my mom and Nana, it was brought to my attention that I will in fact be staying at a Wingate hotel when I am in Atlanta. For some reason, that had not processed in my mind yet. I was reading the whole title of the hotel: Wingate by Wyndham Buckhead. So, it did not register that that is in fact THE WINGATE. My mom e-mailed me and said: "wow, they are putting you up in a Wingate? I have never stayed in one, but have admired them from afar." It wasn't until I read that that it clicked - I am staying at the Wingate. I don't even know why or how I know that name. I'm sure it has come up in movies and those sort of things. For those of you who don't know - it is just a pretty damn fancy hotel. Also, because I'm flying from Seattle and have to be in Atlanta on the 23rd by noon, they have to fly me in on the 22nd. So, I get to stay in the hotel for an extra night - how exciting. I'm glad I will get there early. I will get to learn my way around the hotel as well as do a mini tour of Atlanta. I have never really been there.

I was in Atlanta once when I was a lot younger - 10 or 11 I think. Maybe younger. It was one of the times my family went to Florida to see my grandparents and go to Disney World. Come to think of it, I think it was the first time we went to Disney, which means I was in second grade and would have been only 7 years old. So, now that I have that straight - onward. This particular trip to Florida was via Atlanta. My grandpa drove the van from Orlando and picked us up from the airport in Atlanta, so all we saw of it was the airport and the freeway. However, when he was driving us back to Atlanta to catch our flight home, he missed out exit on the freeway and had to drive all the way around the outer belt of Atlanta back to our exit. So, this time around, we got to at least see Atlanta from the van. However, Atlanta is large, so this took a fairly long time. By the time we made it back around to our exit and to our terminal at the airport, we did not have very much time to make it to our gate. And, to top it all off, our gate was all the way at the end of one of the concourses, and for those who don't know, Atlanta airport is huge.

My sister Sunni (who still went by Sunshine back then) and I ran from one end of the concourse to the other (at least a mile) to keep the ticket agent from closing the doors, which was the only thing that got us on that airplane. What ticket agent could say no to two little blond girls with Little mermaid hats begging them not to close the door until their parents got on the plane???

So, all in all, my only travel through Atlanta has been fairly exciting. Yes, I'm hoping for excitement and adventure on this trip, but not in the form of missing or nearly missing any flights. I'll stick with meeting great new friends, having an evening to explore Atlanta, and getting first class upgrades thank you!! I'll keep my fingers crossed on that last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment