Monday, February 7, 2011

You can't rain on my parade!!!

What I go through to learn Spanish. Today, just like any average day in Seattle, Washington, started out not too bad - a little hint of sprinkle in the air. Then, as soon as I strattled my bike and started on my way to Spanish class, it became more of a drizzle than a sprinkle, and about halfway there, it became more of a light rain than a drizzle. Then, of course, in the 25 minutes it took me to get from house to classroom, it was all out raining. I was completely drenched. Why didn't I wear my rain gear? That is a very good question that I cannot actually answer except with something as inconsequential as: my blond got the better of me. I don't know why I don't have my rain pants in my backpack whenever I ride - it will be something I don't forget from now on, that is for sure. Sitting in Spanish class for three and half hours soaking wet is not the most fun I've ever had. Then, after class, I always study at a near by coffee shop, so I still didn't have the opportunity to get dry. At least at the coffee shop, I got something nice and warm to drink and it was probably a good 15 degrees warmer than my Spanish teacher keeps her classroom.

So, eight hours after leaving the house, I returned. I was still a little damp - especially my feet. I hope I don't get sick! I did get warmed up on my bike ride home, and then got changed pretty much the second I walked in the door, so hopefully I'm ok. I had lots of vitamin C today, and I always have a ton of fluids, so hopefully I can ward off any sickness that may ensue.

I have been thinking a lot today about what I will be doing in Honduras. I'm hoping that, like the woman in the book I was reading, I will be working mostley with babies and pregnant mothers. I know this kind of work would get depressing when and if babies and/or mothers die, but helping most to survive would be one of the most satisfying jobs I can think of. I was talking to my dad about it when he was in town the other day. He was the one that brought how hard it would be to my attention. And, he is right. I can't imagine anything harder than day after day seeing sick children that are on the cusp of dieing. I know I am the type of person that would get attached to each and every baby I work with and if one died, it would be more than I could bare.

But, at the same time, I would be helping many of those babies to live! I could be responsible, or at least partially responsible, for some of those babies surviving and becoming amazing children and adults. I now that everyday would be a struggle for me to hold my emotions in check - not cry, not get too attached, not let me emotions get in the way of performing my duties, but I know I can do it.

I don't even know if this is what I will end up doing during my service in Honduras - I can hope, but I won't know until May, really. Until I finish training and get my assignment, it is going to be a big mystery. I know that I will be working with HIV prevention and Child Survival of some sort, but the specifics are a bit blurry and the different opportunities seem almost limitless.

The next two weeks are going to fly by. I can't even believe it is down to 15 days tell I leave. This is ridiculous. Thanksgiving, when I first found out where/about when I would be going, seems like it was only yesterday, yet that was about 80 days ago. I leave to go to my grandparents house in South Dakota tomorrow, and I will be there until Sunday, so I can be back for my Spanish class on Monday. I'm paying good money for those classes -I'm not about to miss one (and I need all the practice I can get.) But, these 6 days at my grandparents house are going to fly by because I haven't seen them in about 10 years, and I haven't been to South Dakota in 17 years, so there is going to be a lot to talk about and see, which will make it go by very quickly. Then, when I get back to Washington, I will only have 9 days left until I leave, which are going to fill up very fast.

Monday, I have Spanish class, Tuesday, I will work on packing and gathering all the rest of the things I keep thinking of that I want to take with me to Honduras, and then Tuesday evening i'm having dinner and going to a movie with a couple girlfriends. Wednesday and Thursday will be more Spanish and more packing. I'm sure, by this point I will be freaking out about the amount of stuff I've managed to accumulate that has to fit into two rather small bags. Only being able to take two suitcases that don't exceed 80 pounds seems a bit on the low side, especially for me. I'm the type of person that really likes to over pack. I like to be prepared for everything - I get that from my lovely mother. Friday, I am going to go up to Bellingham with Jessica to see more friends and say goodbye to everyone, as well as just see Bellingham. Both of us have been away for so long - her in Americorps and then in Germany, and me stuck up in Alaska doing chemo. So, this is our opportunity to go around Bellingham and see all our old hang-out spots and tour the campus! Sunday, my friends and I are getting together for a brunch for the official goodbye, and then it is back to Seattle. Monday is going to be crazy. I will finish packing for Honduras as well as pack up all the stuff I am leaving behind and put it all in the attic. I will try to work on Spanish, but I doubt if that will happen because I will be pretty antsy. Monday night will be devoted to hanging out with Sarah! Hopefully we can go to dinner and spend some quality time together, although I'm fairly certain she has a test the next day!

Then, Tuesday morning, my flight is at 8:30, so we'll have to be out of the house by 6:30 I think - the traffic won't be bad that early in the morning, and I am not the type of person that needs to be at an airport 2 hours early. I am more of a hour, hour and a half type of gal.

So, like I said - the next two weeks are going to fly by. I know I'm going to be running around like a crazy person, and I will be super stressed out. Hopefully the trip to Bellingham will be a time for relaxation and fun before the last two days of super stress before I get on that airplane to Atlanta.

Hopefully, I will get to see Mt. Rushmore while I'm in South Dakota. I haven't seen it since I was five, when I still called it "Mt. Mushmore!"

No comments:

Post a Comment